Thursday, August 23, 2012

Choosing Your Child’s First Horse

I remember when I was younger, I told my parents about a decision to have my own horse, which is to buy one.  I didn’t realize factors that made them hesitate and so they invited me to sit down and discuss with them about the sudden decision.  It was now that I realized and understand their reaction and how it was just right for that situation. 

Child and Horse
Image grabbed from Debbie Calnan
What my parents actually told me are simple things that made me consider not having one during that time.  It was not because I was irresponsible but because I might not be able to comply with all the responsibilities with my new chosen companion because in fact I don’t have the capacity as a child.  Another important factor that made me consider is that shopping for a horse could be expensive.  Although it was possible to own, I just didn’t want to risk myself and what my new pet would be like if I can’t do such big-man tasks.  I was that understanding, I wasn’t an insistent child. 

If your child decides to own one, do not hesitate to build for them a serious communication and understanding about the greater responsibility they want to have.  What you tell them is that, horses are not simple domesticated pets; they are not anything like our dogs, cats, hamsters and birds that acquires less attention and caring than a horse does.   Horses require a lot of activity and responsibility to meet their needs.  Aside from feeding, horses needs to have grooming, to have playtime and a play companion and most of all, they need exercise to work their muscles and naturally large-built body.  A child must not insist with the responsibility because it may not suit his capacity; you can always start teaching them responsibility beginning by taking care of their dogs or cats, and let them understand that when they’re older and much more able they can already own a horse.

Do you know the latest threat from the tapeworms? Tapeworms in horses were once a minor threat. Overtime, tapeworm problem in equines have grown. Protect your horse from tapeworm infestation. Consult your veterinarian on the use of pyrantel pamoate dewormer.

Once they are now able to own one, to choose a horse must also consider some things before you decide which horse you like.  Guide your child during the shopping and choosing and when you buy a horse make sure that the personality of the horse suits your child.  Always remember that the rider and his chosen horse must have this special relationship and bond between each other or else they will not get along.  Let your child approach the horse and let them connect some sort of good intuition between them.  After choosing you proceed with ride testing.  Such tips will guide your child to choose the perfect kind of horse he or she deserves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment